How do I change the battery?
There are two different types of batteries used as battery back ups in our mains powered smoke and heat alarms. Many of these are sealed in Lithium cells, that last the 10 year life of the alarms. Our 140RC range contains a 9V Alkaline battery as it’s back up power supply and this will need changing across the life span of the alarm.
You will know when you need to change the battery, as you will hear a single regular beep (low battery warning) coming from the alarm, however it is recommended that you change the battery every year.
How to change the battery in 140RC Series Alarms
- Turn off the mains power to the alarm. The green light on the alarm should go out
- Insert a flat headed screwdriver into the removal slot of the alarm. This is marked with an arrow. Make sure you keep the screwdriver horizontal (i.e. parallel to the ceiling)
- Slide the alarm off its base and you should be able to see the 9V battery in the back
- Replace the battery in the back of the alarm with a 9V Alkaline battery – we recommend Duracell MN 1604 or Energizer 522 batteries. Take care with the battery clip and wires as damage to these will result in constant beeps, meaning that the unit will need to be replaced
- Slide the alarm back on its base
- Turn the power back on. The green light on the alarm should come back on
- Finally test the alarm to ensure the unit is working correctly
This is relevant for the following products – Ei141RC, Ei144RC, Ei146RC.
If you have changed the battery and are still experiencing issues please visit our Fault Finding Guide or contact our Technical Team at email@example.com.
Back to FAQs